Robert Scoble posted today about Akismet and the spam filtering features that save him time. But there are times those misclassified posts can cause escalation of a discussion into something more accusatory like deleting comments – that is not fun. For example, Danny Sullivan posting comments on Blake Ross’ blog late last year and the perception that Danny’s comment had been deleted.
I had a similar problem to Danny recently that I was able to fix using the unique learning features of Akismet.
If you are a WordPress blogger and you are having the problem of Akismet treating your comments as spam, please try following the following steps:
1. Go to your blog on the computer that you have had the problems posting comments
2. Make certain that you are signed out of your admin panel
3. Find a post on your blog and post several comments with your email and URL manually the way you would on another person’s blog
4. Login to your WordPress admin panel and mark the “spam” comments then “de-mark spam comments”
5. Repeat steps 1-4 above periodically until the comments stop being marked as spam
I hope that some people currently having this problem find this potential solution to be as helpful to them as it was for me. If you can think of someone who has this problem who is also a WordPress blogger, please pass this post on to them.