SES San Jose – Conference Networking Tip

Yesterday I met Henry Li who recently joined Ask.com as a Director in Business Development.

How and why did I meet him?

Did I walk up to him and introduce myself? No.

Was he wearing Ask.com clothing? No.

OK, tell me how you met him then…

Simple. I always carry an extension cord with me to allow me to share the all too scarce conference power sources. This has the added benefit of having an extra outlet or two handy for other people. Henry walked up to me and asked if he could plug in. Then we chatted and learned that we had a common Wall Street / Financial Services background.

Nice to meet you Henry! Talk to you again soon.

Be Sociable, Share!

8 Responses to SES San Jose – Conference Networking Tip

1. Shana (TheNanny612) August 23, 2007 at 3:33 pm #

“I always carry an extension cord with me to allow me to share the all too scarce conference power sources.”

Now THAT is smart!! Good for you. ;-)

Shana (TheNanny612)

2. Eric Chan August 23, 2007 at 3:57 pm #

That is awesome David. I guess after reading this, please might want to “one-up” you and pack a surge protector and a universal AC adaptor for mobile phones and laptops.

Maybe even a sign: “Need power? Spend some time with me.”

3. Glen Allsopp August 23, 2007 at 5:44 pm #

Very clever idea

4. Jason Jacobsohn August 24, 2007 at 8:41 am #

Nice idea. Not only does it protect you from not having power, but it is a great way to help other people. Good thinking!

5. Lyndon Antcliff August 25, 2007 at 3:01 am #

Not only is it very clever, it is also a useful metaphor.

Postion yourself to be able to help others out and connect with them. On a social marketing level this can be as easy as Stumbling them, friending them on Digg, or helping them out with a Sphinn or two.

Be of use and people will remember you.

6. Joe Duck August 26, 2007 at 6:28 pm #

Ha – brilliant! I’m putting one in my laptop backpack right now. But wait… now we shall never meet? But…you’ll know you made me a popular guy at the next SEM conference I attend (probably WMW Pubcon in Las Vegas).

7. heidi Miller August 28, 2007 at 2:10 pm #

That is brilliant! Love that idea! I always carry Shout wipes for the same reason–if someone else spills on his/her shirt right before having to speak, I end up being the hero! ;-)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Face2Face » Blog Archive » Excellent networking tip - October 16, 2007

[...] a networking idea for conferences I never would have thought of: Carry an extension cord (click on the link to learn [...]