Death of the A-list blogger? Not exactly. Is blog search currently on life support? Yes. Does this affect blog traffic? Yes. Is anyone analyzing this situation holistically? Uncertain.
Over the past several months:
1) Technorati has “redesigned” in such a way that other content, especially mainstream media content has become more prominent.
2) Sphere has done much the same thing and it’s widgets seem to favor mainstream media content.
3) Live.com and Yahoo! don’t currently have blog search at all.
4) Ask.com blog search is on the homepage but few know about it.
5) As written previously, Google has a decent blog search but has not yet put blog search on the home page.
Based on the increase in traffic when Google moved Video to the front page, I firmly believe that a change to Google’s home page to include blog search would yield an immediate increase in blog traffic – regardless of social network sites.
Is Google on the side of the mainstream media or the average blogger? Time will tell by their action or lack thereof. Can we revive blog search?